As one of the AV Think Tank’s first steps, the 2018 White Paper, Towards a New Audiovisual Think Tank for Audiovisual Archivists and Cultural Heritage Professionals, was commissioned by Sound and Vision. The White Paper aims to facilitate stakeholders large and small in the preservation of audiovisual heritage to identify their strategic priorities over the coming decade and define the collective action needed to enact these priorities.
Towards a New Audiovisual Think Tank, written by Peter B. Kaufman of Intelligent Television and MIT, addresses the current context of the work that audiovisual archivists and cultural heritage professionals do and many of the challenges they face. The paper is meant to start a collective conversation with the wider AV archiving and cultural heritage communities and within the AV Think Tank itself in an effort to map out a forward-thinking, relevant, and impactful research and action agenda for the coming ten years.
The core team of the AV Think Tank currently includes:
- Bill Thompson, BBC, Head of Partnership Development, Archive Development & Partnership Lead, Make It Digital
- Erwin Verbruggen, Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision, Project Lead R&D
- Jean-Hugues Chenot, INA, Project Manager, Research & Development
- Johan Oomen, Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision, Manager, Research & Development
- Dr Phang Lai Tee, National Archives of Singapore, Deputy Director, an institution of the National Library Board
- Paul Gerhardt, BFI, Director of Education
- Pelle Snickars, Umeå University, Professor of Media & Communication Studies
- Peter B. Kaufman, Intelligent Television, Founder and Executive Producer & MIT Office of Digital Learning, Research Affiliate
- Rachael Stoeltje, Indiana University Bloomington, Director, Indiana University Libraries Moving Image Archive
- Richard Ranft, The British Library, Head of Sound & Vision
- Tony Ageh, New York Public Library, Chief Digital Officer
- William Uricchio, MIT, Professor of Comparative Media Studies and Principal Investigator Open Doc Lab & Utrecht University, Professor of Comparative Media History
- AV Think Tank Coordinator: Rachel Somers Miles, Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision